Wednesday, November 08, 2006

New studio

I haven't been down to my studio much at all this year, and the guilt of paying for something I'm using as a storage space is beginning to wear a bit thin. Apart from the freezing cold and leaking roof in winter, and the perpetual noise from the recording studio downstairs, I've been trying to figure out why I haven't been there and what's changed.

Initially I was attracted to sharing a space because it gave me access to huge white walls and contact with other artists that were working in the building. It also seemed like a good idea to have somewhere else to go so that I could get away from the distractions at home (one noisy one in particular!) and have space to concentrate. Now though, because of the redevelopment, lots of other people are moving out into plush new studios down the road. These are about £25 a week plus rates, and I certainly can't afford that so it's not an option. Anyway, lots of these other artists have now become friends, so I'll still have good contact with creative people, even if I'm not working in the same buildings.

I also think that wall space has become less important than floor space, as I want to make things. The thought of doing that in the studio in the freezing months to come isn't a good one; materials are more difficult to work at low temperatures - and so am I! One other thing that I've found difficult is actually having the time to get there. Because I went to Scotland I had to make loads of time up at work, which meant working on the days I would normally go to the studio and the motivation just drained away. So all in all, I've been in a bit of a quandary of late.

At the weekend though, a friend came round and I talked to her about the possibility of working from a 'spare' room at home - one that we'd just turned into a comfortable study, with all my lovely art books in it! She convinced me that if I chucked out all the 'junk' I'd have just about enough room - and wasn't it better to have a small space than no space at all, which is effectively what my Falmouth studio becomes in the winter. I think she's probably right and have decided to give it a go. It should offer several advantages: I can heat it; I can use it when Kim's being baby sat by the tv, and in the middle of the night when he's asleep (that was when the bands seem to practice in the studio below) and I can save the rent!

So, on Monday I made a start with clearing out the excess furniture; I've kept the books, a desk and a chair and that's it. So far it's looking good, but I haven't been to Falmouth to collect the stuff I have there yet...I'm concerned that the new room won't be big enough to store anything in and don't know what to do with it all! Maybe I could have a bonfire party?

No comments: