Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sneak preview

If your name is Chantal, you may want to close your eyes now!!!

double page spread of book (whole is approx A4), showing torn and burnt black and white images of trees, with text and black stitching.  Text reads 'they stand rain better' on the left and 'I try to connect the fragments' on the right.  Repeated text also covers page on the right: I try so hard to understand.  I look at the sky.
detail of page showing torn and burnt black and white image of trees, with text (I try to connect the fragments; I try so hard to understand, I look at the sky) and black stitch.I feel I've been neglectful here for several weeks, months even. Ill health and an imminent move are not conducive to clear thinking, for me! So, just to try and square things up a bit, here's a sneak preview of something I've been working on for months - just to prove I am still an artist! I'm making an artists' book (well, it wouldn't be an ice-cream maker's book now would it?). If you're unsure what these are, well I guess they're best described as unique books, one-offs. And being artists' books they probably (but not necessarily) have more images than text. Mine does anyway; it's like trying to create a visual narrative. This one's about journeys and the threads that connect people to each other. It's about other things too, but I don't want to go into detail here. The best way to experience will be to see it. So once it's bound and on it's way north I'll put some more images here for you to see. In the mean time, here's two! Aren't you lucky?! Right, more packing...

No comments: